DURHAM, N.C. - The Howard men's tennis team compiled a successful slate of competition in Durham, N.C. as they notched their first win of 2011 over North Carolina Central, 6-1.
The Bison (2-6) win would come in a triumphant fashion as they swept the Eagles (0-2) in singles competition, a season first for the HU squad, and tabbed their most singles points in a given match with six.
Although Howard floated to singles victories at the No. 5 and No. 6 positions, the first trio of single matches were decided in a third set, while the fourth was stretched to a second-set tiebreaker. Christopher Brown, Eric Chavous and George Diggs loaded their second win in singles competition this season after defeating Jack Waissen (6-2, 5-7, 6-3), Johnny Brown (6-0, 6-0), and Andres Perez [6-2, 7-6, (10-8)], respectively.
NCCU would attempt to spoil Howard's shutout by winning the doubles point, taking two of the three doubles matches. Omar Haloui and Chavous fell to NCCU's Waissen and Trey Chatman, 8-3 at No. 1 doubles while Devard Wharton and Bogdan Dzakovic dropped to Johnny Brown, Jr. and Christopher Mack, 8-0, at No. 3 doubles.
HU's Wharton and Dzakovic would be the only Bison to come out victorious in the doubles as they overtook the Eagles' Alejandro Espitia and Perez, 8-4 at No.2 doubles. Wharton and Dzakovic teamwork would lead to Howard's first win in doubles competition this season.
Howard 6 def. North Carolina Central 1
Feb. 13, 2011 – Durham, N.C.
1. Christopher Brown (HU) def. Jack Waissen (NCCU) 2-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Omar Haloui (HU) def. Trey Chatman (NCCU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Devard Wharton (HU) def. Alejandro Espitia (NCCU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. George Diggs(HU) def. Andres Perez (NCCU) 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
5. Eric Chavous (HU) def. Johnny Brown (NCCU) 6-0, 6-0
6.Bogdan Dzakovic (HU) def. Christopher Mack (NCCU) 6-0, 6-2
1. Jack Waissen/Trey Chatman (NCCU) def. Omar Haloui/Eric Chavous (HU)
2. Andres Perez/Alejandro Espitia (NCCU) def. Christopher Brown/George Diggs (HU)
Devard Wharton/Bogdan Dzakovic (HU) def. Johnny Brown/Christopher Mack (NCCU)