Men's Tennis Opens 2012 Campaign With Loss To Navy
Howard men tennis started their dual match season without the service of number 1, Omar Haloui (injury) against US Naval Academy (5-1). The Bison started the match down a point due to not fielding a sixth singles player. However, the team battled hard in doubles. Senior Eric Chavous and freshman Spencer Mitchell were downed by Navy's Calvin Marks and Peter Mc Donald 8-3. Seniors Devard Wharton and Khyrie Alleyne lost to Navy's Anderson Walls and Mark Reb, 8-5.
The lone bright spot in singles was senior Devard Wharton, who beat Navy's Tyler Burnett at number 3 singles 7-5, 3-6, 1-0(10-3). "We have work to do moving forward," said head coach Larry Strickland. "We will get better considering that three of the five players were playing their first match against a very seasoned Navy team." The Bison men are off until February 25th when they will suit up against North Carolina Central in Cary, N.C.
Navy (5-1) def. Howard (0-1), 6-1
Doubles -- Navy wins the doubles point (1-2)
1. Mark, Calvin / McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Chavous, Eric / Mitchell, Spencer (HOWARD) 8-3
2. Rebersak, Marcus / Walls, Anderson (NAVY) def. Alleyne, Khyrie / Wharton, Devard (HOWARD) 8-5
3. Daniel, Blake / Kenney, Chris (NAVY) win by walkover
1. McDonald, Peter (NAVY) def. Mitchell, Spencer (HOWARD) 6-0, 6-1
2. Mark, Calvin (NAVY) def. Chavous, Eric (HOWARD) 6-2, 6-0
3. Wharton, Devard (HOWARD) def. Burnett, Tyler (NAVY) 7-5, 3-6, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Daniel, Blake (NAVY) def. Alleyne, Khyrie (HOWARD) 6-1, 6-0
5. Gutsche, Nicholas (NAVY) def. Burns, Brandon (HOWARD) 6-3, 6-1
6. Drayton, Heyward (NAVY) win by walkover