HOWARD LADY BISON HOOPS: HOWARD AT DEPAUL
Written by Ariel V. Germain, Assistant Sports Information Director
WASHINGTON, D.C. (www.howard-bison.com) – The Howard University women's basketball team continues its road opener with a Saturday, Nov. 17 7:00 p.m. matchup with DePaul in Chicago, Ill., in McGarth-Phillips Arena.
The Howard University women's basketball team will spend four days in the "Windy City," to take on preseason No. 25 DePaul on Saturday, Nov. 17 and Northwestern on Monday, Nov. 19.
HU comes off a weekend in Pennsylvania, where the Lady Bison fell to St. Francis (Pa.) 69-91 and No. 8 Penn State 72-61. Blue and white standout senior Saadia Doyle notched a season-high 36 points against No. 8 Penn State
Lady Bison Bites
• Niki Reid Geckeler is in her fourth season as head coach
• Finished second in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
• Fell 59-56 OT to Virginia during the WNIT in 2012
• The Howard University women's basketball team will spend four days in the "Windy City," to take on preseason No. 25 DePaul on Saturday, Nov. 17 and Northwestern on Monday, Nov. 19.
• HU comes off a weekend in Pennsylvania, where the Lady Bison fell to St. Francis (Pa.) 69-91 and No. 8 Penn State 72-61
• Blue and white standout senior Saadia Doyle notched a season-high 36 points against No. 8 Penn State
• Howard averages 61.0 ppg., while going 37 percent from the field, 26 percent from the long range and 61 percent from the free-throw line
• Doug Bruno is in his 27th season at DePaul
• The Blue Demons are members of the Big East Conference
• DePaul dropped from the Top 25 after week two
• DU is 1-1 on the season with a 87-57 victory over Nicholls State and a 92-80 loss to Dayton during the Maggie Dixon Classic
• Against Nicholls State, Brittany Hrynko attained a team-high 18 points
• Jennifer Perry guided the offense with 20 points, as Katherine Harry dropped a double-double with 18 points and 13 rebounds against Dayton
• DePaul averages 84 ppg., while going 45 percent from the field, 34 percent from three-point range and 50 percent from the free-throw line
Doyle on the Double
Senior Saadia Doyle was name Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Preseason Player of the Year for the second consecutive season. The honor was announced on Thursday, Nov. 1.
What Have You Heard about the Herd
Along with Doyle's accolades, the Lady Bison were predicted to finish first in the MEAC this 2012-13 season.
Among 340 mid-major Division I institutions in the country, the Lady Bison ranked 12th above Richmond (Atlantic 10), Harvard (Ivy) and Central Michigan (Mid-American) by "Full Court," the leading women's basketball website.
No. Name Ht. Yr. Pos. MPG PPG
10 Jerrelle Gorham 5-8 R-Jr. G 32.5 7.0
5 Cheyenne Curly-Payne 5-4 Sr. G 34.5 11
13 Saadia Doyle 5-10 Sr. G 35.5 28.5
32 Nicole Deterville 6-0 Sr. F 21.5 2.5
44 Kara Smith 6-0 Sr. F 26.5 8.0
For more information on Lady Bison Basketball or for up-to-date scores and statistics, visit the official website of Howard Athletics at www.howard-bison.com.