Written by Ariel V. Germain, Assistant Sports Information Director
WASHINGTON, D.C. (www.howard-bison.com) – The mighty Lady Bison continues their stay in Chicago, Ill., for a Monday, Nov. 19 matchup against Northwestern at 7:00 p.m. at the Welsh-Ryan Arena.
Howard opened the four day, two-day "Windy City" event with a 68-51 loss to DePaul on Saturday, Nov. 17.
Lady Bison standout senior Saadia Doyle contributed 21 points and 10 rebounds for her double-double of the season in the loss. Fellow classmates Cheyenne Curly-Payne and Kara Smith scored in double figures with Curly-Payne tallying 12 and Smith attaining 11 points. Curly-Payne added five assists and five steals to her statistics.
Lady Bison Bites
•Niki Reid Geckeler is in her fourth season as head coach
• Finished second in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
• Fell 59-56 OT to Virginia during the WNIT in 2012
• Howard opened "Windy City" action with a 68-51 loss to DePaul on Saturday, Nov. 17 at McGrath-Phillips Arena
• Saadia Doyle attained her first double-double of the season with 21 points and 10 rebounds
• Cheyenne Curly-Payne and Kara Smith notched season-best performances with 12 points and 11 points, respectively
• Curly-Payne also gathered five assists and five steals
• On the season, the Lady Bison average 57.7 points per game, 35 percent from the field, 27 percent from the long range, and 61 percent from the free-throw line
No. Name Ht. Yr. Pos. MPG PPG
10 Jerrelle Gorham 5-8 R-Jr. G 31.0 4.7
5 Cheyenne Curly-Payne 5-4 Sr. G 35.7 11.3
13 Saadia Doyle 5-10 Sr. G 35.7 26.0
32 Nicole Deterville 6-0 Sr. F 23.0 2.7
44 Kara Smith 6-0 Sr. F 30.7 9.7
No. Name Ht. Yr. Pos. MPG PPG
14 Cabria Johnson 6-0 R-Jr. F 14.3 3.3
34 Portia Deterville 6-0 Sr. F 12.0 0.0
24 Imani Bailey 5-8 Fr. G 13.3 0.0
• Joe McKeown is in his fifth season at Northwestern
• The Wildcats are members of the Big Ten Conference
• Northwestern is 2-0 so far this season, with a 79-69 win over Tennessee-Martin and a 82-72 win over Central Michigan
• Maggie Lyon guided the offense with 21 points, as Danielle Diamant earned a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds for the Wildcats against UT-Martin
• Lauren Douglas tallied a double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds, as Kendall Hackney and Carley Roser each scored 15 points against Central Michigan
• NWU averages 80.5 ppg, while going 47 percent from the field, 34 percent from three-point range and 59 percent from the free-throw line
Doyle on the Double
Senior Saadia Doyle was name Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Preseason Player of the Year for the second consecutive season. The honor was announced on Thursday, Nov. 1.
What Have You Heard about the Herd
Along with Doyle's accolades, the Lady Bison were predicted to finish first in the MEAC this 2012-13 season.
Among 340 mid-major Division I institutions in the country, the Lady Bison ranked 12th above Richmond (Atlantic 10), Harvard (Ivy) and Central Michigan (Mid-American) by "Full Court," the leading women's basketball website.
For more information on Lady Bison Basketball or for up-to-date scores and statistics, visit the official website of Howard Athletics at www.howard-bison.com.