By Michele Gee, Broadcast Journalism Major '11
Washington, DC- The Howard University women's tennis team took a hit on Wednesday when they lost to rival, Georgetown University. This win has allowed Georgetown to advance to a 4-8 record for the season.
The Hoyas got off to a strong start during doubles play. Howard's Michelle Brown and Katelyn Stokes were defeated at the number one doubles position, taking an 8-1 loss to Georgetown's Stephanie Wetmore and Tina Tehrani. Doubles pair, Brittney Morgan and Brooke Hawthorne, also lost at the number doubles position with a score of 8-3.
The strength of the Hoyas carried over into the singles match -ups. Stephanie Wetmore defeated one of Howard's stand-out freshmen, Katelyn Stokes at the top singles spot (6-1, 6-0). Brooke Hawthorne was also defeated at the number four singles position in with a score of 6-0,6-3. Anne Akhimien snagged a straight sets victory against Hoya, Alexandra Landers.
The Lady Bison took losses at the number two and five singles positions, putting the Hoyas over the top. The final score was 6-1.
Georgetown University def. Howard University
Final Score 6-1
March 23, 2011
1. Wetmore/Tehrani (GU) def. Brown/Stokes (HU) 8-1
2. Greco/Sekely (GU) def. Morgan/ Hawthorne (HU) 8-3
3. Jaeger/Sebia (GU) def. Works/Akhimien (HU) 8-4
1. Stephanie Wetmore (GU) def. Katelyn Stokes (HU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Lauren Greco (GU) def. Brittney Morgan (HU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Vicky Sekely (GU) def. Michelle Brown (HU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-2
4. Tina Tehrani (GU) def. Brooke Hawthorne (HU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Maddie Jaeger (GU) def. Alyssa Works (HU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Akhimien, Anne (HU) def. Alexandra Landers (GU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
7. Amber Cuff (HU) vs. Alex Sebia (GU)