By Michele Gee, Broadcast Journalism Major '11
Baltimore, MD-The Howard University women's tennis team swept the Morgan State University Bears this past Saturday in Baltimore, Maryland. The Bison out-performed the Bears and closed out the match with a 7-0 victory.
The Lady Bison came out blazing, winning all three doubles matches and capturing the overall doubles point. Doubles team Alyssa Works and Anne Akhimien pummeled the competition with an 8-0 victory at the number two doubles position. Katelyn Stokes and Michelle Brown gained an easy 8-2 win over Morgan State's Alexis McCoy and Pola Olczak at the number one doubles spot.
The intensity of the Lady Bison didn't waver at all as they began doubles play. Freshman and Atlanta, Georgia native, Brooke Hawthorne seized a 6-0, 6-0 win against Delissa Carline at the number four singles position. Also, obtaining a 6-0, 6-0 win was junior, Michelle Brown. She defeated Tiffany Hughes at the number three singles position.
Easy wins also came to Katelyn Stokes and sophomore, Brittney Morgan of Beverly Hills, California. Both Lady Bison won in straight sets at the top two singles spots.
Howard University 7, Morgan State University 0
1. Stokes/Brown (HU) def. McCoy/Olczak (MSU) 8-2
2. Works/Akhimien (HU) def. Hughes/Carline (MSU) 8-0
3. Hawthorne/Morgan (HU) def. Walkover
1. Katelyn Stokes (HU) def. Alexis McCoy (MSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Brittney Morgan (HU) def. Pola Olczak (MSU) 6-1,6-1
3. Michelle Brown (HU) def. Tiffany Hughes (MSU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Brooke Hawthorne (HU) def. Delissa Carlin (MSU) e 6-0, 6-0
5. Alyssa Works (HU) def. Janelle Wilson (MSU) 1-0 retire
6. Anne Akhimien (HU) def. Walkover