Are you in the process of moving? As exciting as it can be to start a new chapter, it’s understandable to feel overwhelmed when you consider all the tasks and potential hiccups that may occur during a move. While some of these issues are expected (such as difficulty finding an appropriate moving truck or difficulty fitting furniture through doorways), there are other surprises that fall into the ‘unexpected’ category.
To help you be ready for anything, here are the top 10 unexpected things that can happen while moving:
- Appliances suddenly breaking down – If any of your major appliances stop working during a move, it can add extra stress and potentially cost money to repair or buy new ones. Have them checked before your move to avoid potential issues. This is especially true for long-distance movers.
- Unexpected stairs – If you’re moving from a high-rise building, you’ll want to be aware of any extra flights of stairs that may need to be navigated while moving boxes. You may need to hire extra help to make sure everything makes it out safely. The same goes for long-distance movers, who might encounter unexpected stairs at the loading dock.
- Unforeseen repairs – Moving into a new home can expose unforeseen problems that weren’t visible during your initial walkthrough. From plumbing issues to electrical problems, you may need to budget for any necessary repairs before you make yourself comfortable in your new home. So, make sure to check and double-check for any hidden issues before signing a long-term lease.
- Forgotten items – Though the majority of your belongings are likely to make it safe and sound, there’s always the chance that something will be left behind or forgotten. Double-check all rooms in your old home before leaving, and make a checklist to keep track of the items you need to move.
- Moving day surprises – From long lines of traffic to unfortunate weather, no matter how prepared you are, there may be unexpected events that can throw off your moving plan. This is why it’s important to have a backup plan in place, as well as to make sure your long-distance movers know the route and any potential detours.
- Unforeseen charges – Make sure to review all of your moving contracts closely, as there may be hidden fees or unexpected costs that weren’t initially discussed. It’s also important to ensure that long-distance movers won’t charge extra for tolls, fuel, and any other costs that may arise along the way.
- Hidden treasures in your old home – You never know what you might find when packing up and moving out of your old home! From forgotten artifacts to antique furniture, anything is possible. While this can be exciting, it can also cause some delays if you’re not prepared to transport these items.
- Accidents – While you certainly don’t plan for them, accidents can and do happen during a move. From broken items to strained muscles, having the right insurance in place can help cover any unexpected costs or damages that arise while moving into your new home. You should also make sure to have your long-distance movers insured.
- Extra items – It’s easy to accumulate more stuff than you expected while packing up your home, so it’s important to have a plan in place for disposing of any extra items. From donating clothes to selling furniture online, there are many ways to get rid of your extra belongings.
- Unpleasant odors – Before moving into a new home, make sure to check for and eliminate any unpleasant odors that could be lingering in the space. This is especially important if you’re living with pets or smoking, as these odors can quickly accumulate and spread throughout the house. You might even want to invest in an air purifier to ensure that your home is free of any unwanted smells.
These are just a few of the unexpected things that can happen while moving. By being prepared and knowing what to look out for, you can help minimize stress and be sure to enjoy your move!
Do you have any tips for dealing with the unexpected when moving? Share them in the comments below!