When other pain medications like paracetamol and ibuprofen have not worked, codeine is very much preferred. Codeine is an opioid painkiller is used to treat mild to moderately severe pain as well as to aid stop coughing.
Codeine also comes in several combination medications, some of which are available over-the-counter at registered pharmacies without a prescription. For instance, codeine and the analgesic paracetamol combined together are present in co-codamol.
What Is Codeine Used For?
When it reaches the brain, codeine changes back into morphine and attaches to certain little locations in your central nervous system known as opioid receptors (brain and spinal cord). As a result, both how you perceive pain and how you react to it are diminished. Codeine is available with a doctor’s prescription.
Reduce Cough Symptoms
One of the most frequent ailments for which individuals see doctors is a cough. One of the most often administered antitussive medications in children is the opioid codeine.
According to recent research, codeine helps adults and kids with chronic coughs cough less frequently. Resulting in increased comfort and sleep quality. It functions by reducing activity in the region of the brain that produces coughing.
Before Using Codeine
It’s crucial that your doctor be aware before you buy codeine. This is because certain medical problems preclude the use of some medications, while other times a medication can only be used with special caution.
It is not advisable to use codeine if:
- You experience issues with the function of your kidneys or liver.
- You experience any urinary incontinence or prostate issues.
- You suffer from asthma or chronic obstructive lung disease, for example (COPD).
- Your doctor has diagnosed you with low blood pressure or an irregular heartbeat.
- You recently had a serious head injury.
- You have ever been an alcoholic or drug addict.
- You’ve ever experienced an adverse drug response.
- You take any more medications. This includes any prescription and over-the-counter medications you are taking, as well as herbal and complementary medications.
Maximizing The Effectiveness Of Codeine
- While using codeine, you should not drink alcohol. This is because taking codeine increases your chance of getting drunk-related adverse effects including feeling drowsy and dizzy.
- Codeine won’t be administered to you for any longer than is required. This is because stopping codeine use after taking it regularly for a while might result in withdrawal symptoms like restlessness or irritability. Your pain doctor will advise you to gradually lower your dose if you have been taking it for a while and wish to discontinue in order to lessen the chance of these side effects.
- Usually, doctors prescribe codeine to treat acute pain. It won’t function as effectively if you take it for a longer length of time since your body can get acclimated to it.
- Before purchasing any medications, be sure they may be used with codeine by asking a pharmacist.
Codeine could lead to habit formation. Use codeine precisely as prescribed. Avoid taking it in larger amounts often and overdosing over prescription. When you buy codeine discuss your pain management objectives, course of treatment, and additional pain management options with your healthcare professional.