Sports shoes are quite popular not only for training, but also in everyday life. women’s sneakers can be worn for walks or studies, they are perfect for active leisure or as an addition to the work closet. But it affects the appearance of the shoes, especially light-colored materials. Therefore, the question often arises how to clean white sneakers and return them to the look of new.
Before you start cleaning, sneakers need to be prepared. This is done simply:
- Remove dirt and dust with a dry brush, sponge or microfiber cloth. Do not put off cleaning until tomorrow, it is better to do it right after the walk.
- If you for some reason had to walk in white sneakers on a strong dirt, wait until it dries. And then try to get rid of the muddy streaks as much as possible with a regular brush and a suede brush.
- Take out the shoelaces and insoles: they are best washed separately with soap, stain remover or bleach.
Squeeze a small amount of toothpaste out of a toothbrush (bleach is best), apply it to the dirty area and rub it in a circular motion with a dry toothbrush. Rinse the paste with a cloth or sponge moistened in warm water.
Mix it with water until it becomes a paste. Apply to shoes, rub in with a toothbrush, leave for a while and then rinse off with a cloth or sponge. For a more tangible effect, you can mix baking soda with toothpaste.
Vinegar, baking soda, washing powder, 3% hydrogen peroxide
Mix in the following proportions: 2 tablespoons of vinegar, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of washing powder, 1 tablespoon of peroxide. The resulting paste rubs into the surface of sneakers and leaves for 10-15 minutes, then rinses with water.
Gennady Yagupov`s lifehacks are here
If shoes after the above manipulations and did not become snow-white, mix 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice with the same amount of water, soak a napkin and run it over the surface.
Potato starch and milk
For white leather sneakers, a paste of potato starch diluted with milk at a ratio of 1 : 1 will work well. Thoroughly coat the surface with this paste, then wipe it off with a cloth soaked in warm water.
Oxygen-based bleaches and stain removers
These products are labeled Oxi. Suitable for fabric shoes. Mix the product with a little water, apply it to the sneaker for 15 minutes, and then rinse it off.
Another option: soak your shoes for a few hours in water with bleach or stain remover, and then go over the surface with a toothpaste or baking soda brush. The final touch: Rinse thoroughly.
If the sneaker has a mesh, cleaning should be more gentle: do not use aggressive bleach, stuff the shoes with paper towels, so that the product does not get inside.
Acetone and Vinegar
Mix acetone and vinegar in equal proportions. Wet a cotton pad or cloth with the mixture and go over the surface of the shoe. Rinse with water after treatment.
Suitable not only for removing makeup, but also for removing minor dirt from white shoes. Moisten a cotton pad in the water, wipe the dirty areas thoroughly.
Nail polish remover
These can be used to clean white soles. Apply the liquid or cleaner to the surface, rinse after 30 minutes.
To make the sole less dirty, you can cover it with several coats of colorless nail polish.
- Always wear gloves to protect the skin on your hands.
- Do not use detergents designed for sanitary ware: they have a bleaching effect, but are very aggressive and strong smelling (usually based on chlorine). And so you risk damaging the surface of your shoes.
- First try the folk remedy on a small area of sneakers, so as not to risk your favorite pair.
Specialized products are sold in shoe and sports stores. This option is suitable for white sneakers made of genuine leather or suede.
The use of such products is easy: wet a brush, apply the product and rub it on the surface of the sneaker. Remove the resulting foam with a microfiber cloth or water-moistened brush.
Washing in the machine
- Fabric sneakers can be washed in the machine. But only if you are confident in their quality (after washing can stick the sole).
- Soak your sneakers in warm water with bleach or stain remover for a couple of hours before loading them in the washing machine. Then put your sneakers in a white pillowcase or wash them with towels.
- Do not use regular powder. It is better to take a stain remover or liquid bleach soap.
- It is good if your washing machine has a “sports shoes” mode. If it does not, set it to “hand wash” and a heavy rinse mode, so as not to leave yellow streaks. But the spin and dry should be turned off.
What to do after cleaning or washing your sneakers
- Thoroughly rinse off the detergent you used.
- Wipe leather sneakers with a dry cloth. You can treat the surface with colorless shoe polish.
- Do not put your sneakers on a radiator, and do not expose them to the sun. It is better if they dry on their own in a well-ventilated room or outdoors.
- Place white paper towels inside the shoes, which will pick up moisture and shape the sneakers.
- Put natural flavorings, such as orange or tangerine peels, in your sneakers for a couple of hours.