If you have a massive collection of duplicate files on your PC and looking for simple and free ways to find duplicate files in windows, you have come to the right place.
Both Windows 10 and Windows 11 offer a variety of methods for finding and removing duplicate files.
Whether you want to find duplicate photos, documents, videos, MP3s, etc. we’ve rounded up all the best ways to find and remove duplicate files in both Windows 10 and Windows 11
Method 1: Using a Duplicate file finder for Windows 10
Cisdem Duplicate file finder is the best way to find duplicates on Windows 10 or Windows 11 if you’re looking to find exact or similar duplicate files, remove duplicates in one go, or you need find duplicate files on computer, external hard drive, SD card, etc.
Here we’ll show you the easy steps to find and remove duplicates with Cisdem Duplicate Finder.
- Go to the official site of Cisdem, find Duplicate finder and install it on your PC.
- Just drag and drop the folders or drives you want to scan, you can add multiple folders in one go. After that, just click “Scan”.
- Wait for the scan to complete, and when it’s done, the app will categorize all the duplicates in different tabs, you can easily swith the tab to see duplicate documents, images, musics, videos, archives, etc.
- In each tab, this app offer options for you to view and compare duplciate files, it using advanced AI technology to automatically selects all files but one for deletion in each duplciate group. This saves you alot of time, and you can adust the select rules the way you prefer. For example, if you are photographer you can choose to select by high or low resolution so you keep the one for you own specific needs.
- Now, all you need to do is to Click Delete in the bottom to delete duplicates on your Windows PC.
Method 2: Using The search bar in Windows
The search bar exists in Windows Explorer can help you manually find and remove duplicate files in Windows. Though, it’s not usually the duplicate finder you’ll want to use. Here is how you can maually find duplicates on Windows PC.
- Open Windows Explorer and click view on the top menu.
- Then Choose to view in details. Then you can choose to sort all your files by name, type, format, etc. You can sort by file name then have a look at files that have similar name and size, then manually preview and delete the true duplciate files.
Method 3: Using CMD
If you prefer commands over graphical user interfaces, here’s how to find duplicate files using CMD on Windows 10/8/7.
Step 1. Open Command Prompt on Windows 10, and run it as an administrator.
Step 2. Type “dir /s /b *.extension” into CMD, you can change .extension the file type you need to search, for example if you need to find duplicate photos you can type in dir /s /b *.jpg, or if you need to find duplicate music files you can type in dir /s /b *.mp3.
Step 3. Press enter, and it will start scanning for duplicate files.
Step 4. After scanning, it will give you a list that shows all of the JPEG images on your windows and will mark all duplicates JPEG images in red.
Duplicate files are useless and taken up valuable space. Comparing and deleting duplicate files manually one by one is quite a challenge and time cosuming for all Windows users, but there are still ways you can use to solve this problem and save yourself so much time.
Cisdem Duplicate finder is by far the fastest and most effective software that help you accurately find and delete all duplicates, so you get more room for important files.