The immune system is essential to avoid getting infections, bacteria and viruses that affect our health . This is the main defense of the human body, which through a well-organized reaction allows the organism to attack and destroy the infections that invade our body. Therefore, experts from Harvard University affirm the importance of having this well-nourished system in times of Covid – 19.
Food is one of the main assets when the immune system works perfectly. Depending on the foods we eat, we can obtain better vitamin and mineral properties that help us to have more energy and better blood circulation. This benefits our body by strengthening the immune system and avoiding different infections.
Of course, the body works better the better it is nourished, despite this, we must not forget the external factors that we must end if we want to be more protected. For this reason, experts from Harvard have developed a series of guidelines to avoid being exposed to health problems more bass:
- No Smoking.
- Follow a diet rich in fruits and vegetables.
- Exercise daily.
- Be at a healthy weight.
- Do not consume alcohol.
- Get enough rest.
- Take steps to avoid infection.
- Minimize stress.
The importance of physical exercise according to Harvard University
Exercise is one of the great pillars of a good immune system. Doing it on a daily basis can provide us with an improvement in cardiovascular health, lowers blood pressure, helps control body weight and protects against the body against diseases.
Older people doing physical exercise
As explained by the experts from Harvard University : “As A healthy diet, exercise can contribute to general good health and therefore a healthy immune system. It can contribute even more directly by promoting good circulation, allowing cells and substances of the immune system to move freely through the body and do their jobs efficiently. ”
On the other hand, from the WHO they coincide with the Harvard University in the consumption of healthy food and recommend a minimum intake of 400 g daily of fruits and vegetables (excluding potatoes and other starchy tubers) to prevent chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes or obesity, as well as to prevent and mitigate micronutrient deficiencies.
5 foods to strengthen the immune system
Given the importance of being as protected as possible, we are going to list some of the best foods to have the immune system in optimal conditions, some of them scientifically proven by Harvard University itself.
- Mollusks: Harvard University experts say that the absence of zinc causes the immune system to function properly. That is why it is important to include this type of seafood.
- Cereals: The University from Harvard affirm the ability of lymphocytes to mature and transform into various types of T and B cells. These are found in foods such as oats, wheat and rice.
- Citrus fruits: An article published by the US National Library of Medicine states that colds of people who consume vitamin C they can usually last less time and, in addition, their symptoms are usually less severe. Therefore, including citrus fruits will help us to have a more protected immune system.
- Yogurt: Products with probiotics such as yogurts are beneficial to protect intestinal health. These live microorganisms are capable of regulating the immune response, according to the United Nations.