When building a house or extension you might be asked to use composite masonry. This is a mixture of different types of bricks and stones. There are many benefits to using this type of masonry. It’s cheaper, more durable, and produces a more solid wall. It is also easier to work and lighter to install than conventional brickwork. However, CM masonry is not without problems. It’s more vulnerable to weathering and cracking due to its lower strength, particularly when it rains.
Your mason should be able to tell you whether or not you need to have CM brickwork for your project. This type of masonry is used all over the world, particularly in the Canada. It can be made from local materials like flint or sandstone, or imported from abroad. You can also buy ready-made composite bricks. These have their own advantages and disadvantages.
The following points are likely to be relevant to your question:
- You may want to use CM bricks and/or stones for your house or extension as they will produce a more durable, solid and attractive wall. However, you should be aware that CM is not as strong as conventional brickwork and you will need to ensure that it is adequately supported.
- CM bricks can also make a house warmer in winter, but colder in summer. If you live in an area where the weather is severe, then this could be a problem. You will need to take this into account when planning your building.
- CM bricks are usually lighter than bricks and stones. They are easier to install and transport, but may be more vulnerable to damage during transportation and installation.
- CM bricks and stones have a distinctive appearance, which can be very pleasing to the eye, but this can sometimes be a disadvantage, particularly if you want to change the look of your house.
- CM bricks and stones can cost less than conventional brickwork, but you will pay more for them in the long term. This is because, unlike brickwork, they will need to be replaced more often.
- CM brickwork will need more careful handling. It is easier to cut with a circular saw, which is likely to cause more damage. You should also be more careful about the type of tools that you use, as their weight may cause damage to the masonry.
- CM brickwork is not suitable for all types of building project. For example, it should not be used where there is a high level of traffic or where there are large trees growing near the building. In such cases, concrete masonry is probably a better option.